A chronicle of my Frugal Feasting exploits as I travel my way about life

Follow us on Twitter @SixDollarSitdwn
email sixdolarsitdowns@gmail.com for suggestions!

Friday, October 1, 2010

Los Paises: Torta Hunting

Los Paises on Urbanspoon




It’s been a loooooong while since I put up my last post, a little more than a month to be more specific. But that time has been productively spent on saving up for a new camera (with out which I would just have to extremely and very vividly describe my encounters) as well as doing field research during my lunch breaks. But now that those time are over its time to get right back into the full swing of things! With that said I bring to you my latest culinary endeavor: Los Paises

Now along with sustaining our economy by providing a labor force that acts as a crutch for our entire agricultural system and in essence our fiscal existence, Mexico has provided our country with a number of great things; tequila, mariachis, the inspiration for Taco bell, Selma Hayek, and of course the topic of today’s discussion.

In Orlando, there are a few things that there are a whole lot of (Puerto Ricans, Vietnamese Restaurants, and tourists just to name a few). But authentic Mexican food is few and far between. Sure you have your run-of-the-mill, corporate Tex-Mex establishment lighting up the night with its red and green chili pepper at every other corner. However a real, south of the border experience is something to cherish in Central Florida. Which is why I felt the need to highlight this quaint little establishment I happened to stumble upon one day on the way to work.

Los Paises is actually not a restaurant but a Mexican Grocery Store/Deli/Taqueria. It’s located in the Pine Hill area off Colonial between Powers and Hastings. In its two long aisles you’ll find an arsenal of all kinds of Latin American grocery items, an alter to the Goya gods, a wall of a million spices, and the most extensive selection of Jarritos that I’ve ever laid eyes upon. But I digress, I didn’t come to Los Paises to revel and bask in the presence of its inventory. I came to eat! And the target of my hunger being none other than the torta.

A Torta is a typical Mexican sandwich, circular in shape, about a 7” in diameter, and stacked with delicious ingredients native to what lies beyond our southern border. You can fill a torta with just about any kind of meat that your heart desires. Los Paises offers you the option of carne asada, carnitas(shredded pork), chicken, empanizado(breaded steak), fish, and the pick of the day: lengua. For those who aren’t very well versed in the Spanish tongue, lengua means just that… tongue.

Wait what? Did you just read what you think you read?? Yes, I had a beef tongue torta for lunch. No, actually, I had an absolutely delicious beef tongue torta for lunch. Now if you’re like most people you’re probably appalled by the idea of tastebud-on-tastebud action going on inside of your mouth as you are chewing away during your lunch break. If that’s the case, then, like most people you are not very much of an explorer and/or your just plain boring. But the truth is that beef tongue is a very common element of Mexican cuisine and cuisines from all over the world; including Germany, Portugal, India, the Philippines, Russia, and Japan. So think about it, obviously there are a number people all over the world who indulge on beef tongue. So maybe the whole weirdness of the fact that all these people eat cow tongue might not be that weird at all when in actuality it might be weird that you are the only one who doesn’t eat cow tongue …think about it.

Back to the topic at hand, so Los Paises definitely came correct with this Torta de Lengua. Not only was it a pretty decent size, but it was packed with all kinds of savory flavors. Within the confines of the two halves of that circular bun you’ll find the usual suspects of fresh tomato, crispy lettuce, and onion accompanied by some ingredients that will send your taste buds flying back across the border where these flavors came from. Now I’m a GIANT fan of avocado, so I’m usually more than pleased any time I find that those little, lime green chunks of splendor have found their way into my meal. This torta had a nice layer of a creamy avocado sauce, its wasn’t quite guacamole but I could see how some might classify it as such. Working in conjunction with the avocado was the jalapeño garnishes that were sprinkled in here and there as well. I’m not too particular on spices and chili peppers but I have to admit that this time it was essential for the enjoyment and appreciation of this meal as a whole.

But on to the focus of this torta(and that of any sandwich), the meat filling. Okay first off, I have to admit I wasn’t completely comfortable with the idea that I was chewing on bits of chopped up tongue. However all of that was all in my mind and had nothing to do with the way this sandwich tasted in any way. The fact of the matter is that it was absolutely delicious. It was soft, tender, juicy, a little fatty, and full of flavor. The only inkling unpleasantness in my head was the thought in the back of my mind, as I was chewing, of what exactly was being eaten. But like I mentioned earlier, it was all in my head and I place complete blame for this on the close-minded, American cultural incompetence in which I have been submerged in, had no choice to grow up in, and have allowed to flood my judgment as I have navigated my way through life in America.

All in all, this torta was great it was delicious, flavorful, but more importantly cheap! $3.99 was the price tag on this culinary confection. Which left more than enough room in my $6 budget to go over to the refrigerated beverages and pick from my choice of a Jarritos soda; I went ahead and chose Mango. This left me with a grand total of $5.50. Not bad considering most of today’s value meals at any local fast food grease pit will run you about $6-8. Los Paises is definitely a spot I recommend for anyone to hit up on their lunch break or who just happens to be in the area. By the time your ready to leave the place, it will leave you with, a happy stomach, satisfied wallet, and a great impression.

1 comment:

  1. wow, thank six dollar sitdowns. I will most definately hit this spot up next time I'm in the west Orlando area. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete